n Assignment 1, we ask you to choose one of three topic choices listed below on the subject of diversity then use the Writing Guide located in Blackboard to write a brief paper on the subject. Each topic explores two different approaches to diversity during the 60-year period after the Civil War (1865 to 1925). The dynamic between the two approaches will have a profound impact on our history then and now.
As you prepare and brainstorm ideas for your paper, first read and review what our Schultz textbook covers on the subject. Then, consider the other sources listed with each topic below. It is important that you review these sources carefully because your paper should use a minimum of three sources from the list below.
Be sure to review the all help (documents or video) provided by your instructor. For information on the SWS format, see the “Strayer Writing Standards” tab on the course menu.
TOPIC I CHOOSE :
Empowering African Americans – Two Strategies
Here you will focus on the approaches of Booker T. Washington and W. E. B. Du Bois. Other noted names and certainly different organizations will become part of your inquiry. Washington’s famous 1895 “Atlanta Compromise” speech (labeled such later by critics) sets the tone. One might find virtues, problems and successes associated with both strategies. You might see elements of each in strategies of later leaders and related issues even today.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Use the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) . The format is different than other formats like APA. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font, Calibri, Arial, or Courier (size 10, 11, or 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and sources must follow SWS format. You must have a Sources list at the end; each source listed must also be cited in the body of the paper with an in-text citation.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the Sources page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The body of the paper should be five paragraphs and a total of 500-to-800 words in length. The 500 minimum is firm; you really have not adequately developed the paper if less than that. The 800 maximum is a loose guideline. The body of the paper is to be double-spaced. Typically, if you follow these instructions, the body of your paper will be 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pages in length; add a page for your title page and another for your sources list and that then gets to 4-1/2-to 5-1/2. But the length requirement is evaluated by word count.
The paper must be submitted (uploaded and attached) in the course shell provided online.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss the developments, racial and political policies, and laws from 1865 to the 1920s following the end of slavery.